Glock 17 (before 2019) + RONI Kit (under 60 cm)

• Hello Community,

I live in Switzerland and have a Glock 17 with permission before 2019.

if I buy a RONI kit today (below 60cm), can I use it with the Glock 17? If you know, can you point out the sections of the law where it says if it is good or not? I already read it but it is not clear.

sorry for not speaking german but I have it google translated here:

Hallo Community,

Ich lebe in der Schweiz und habe eine Glock 17 mit Erlaubnis vor 2019.

Wenn ich heute ein RONI-Kit (unter 60 cm) kaufe, kann ich es mit der Glock 17 verwenden? Wenn Sie wissen, können Sie auf die Abschnitte des Gesetzes hinweisen, in denen steht, ob es gut ist oder nicht? Ich habe es bereits gelesen, aber es ist nicht klar.

Danke!

• If you bought it in 2018 or earlier you're trouble free for sure. Even if you bought it in 2019, the issue date of your permit is decisive. If it was issued before the 15th of August you're still in the clear, given that you didn't extend it after said date.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Mortimer ()

• Yes, if the Glock was bought before August 2019, you can use it with a Roni.

If you bought it in 2018 or earlier you're trouble free for sure. Even if you bought it in 2019, the issue date of your permit is decisive. If it was issued before the 15th of August you're still in the clear, given that you didn't extend it after said date.

Thank you for the replies, do you know if there are any clear mentions in the law about this? If I’m approached what law passage should I reference?

As I understand this is where the law is right?

https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2008/767/de

• Yes I also find that date strange, however it is clearly stated that way in the law?! However I got my license for the Glock 17 on April 2019 so all good there.

I’m still not 100% convinced if there is any room for interpretation in the law that consideres the glock+roni as a new weapon shorter than 60cm? Because if I purchase the RONI this year the new weapon (glock+roni) is a new weapon in 2021?

Or is there a clear passage in the law that says that the purchase of any accessories for weapons acquired before August 2019 are free of any limitations?

Art. 71a seems to talk only about acquisition of firearms, not of accessories, that’s why my question.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Roni itself is free to purchase and not under any regulations.

However, once you put a Glock in it, it becomes a "Handfeuerwaffe" (i.e. a rifle), because it is "usually fired from a shoulder stock". This definition is stated in the law.

Now, since you now have a rifle at your hands, the regulations regarding magazine capacity come into play. The Glock has a capacity of greater than 10 rounds, so the rifle at your hands falls under the exception permits (ABK).

BUT if the Glock was bought before August 2019, the "grandfathering" applies and you're fine to use it. If you'd have bought the Glock later with a normal permit (WES), you'd commit a crime. If you bought it later with an ABK, you're fine.

The length of the Roni us irrelevant since it is below 60cm both folded and unfolded so that regulation does not apply.

Also as said the Roni itself is irrelevant, it all comes down to how and when the Glock in it was obtained.

• ok thank you ?

just one more question, for the glock 17 that I got before August 2019, am I allowed to buy a 30 rounds mag for it without the need of applying for a new license?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Correct, depending on the canton, you simply need a confirmation of ownership (Besitzbestätigung) to show the dealer that you acquired the weapon legally before the new law, because some dealers will not accept old-law WES on request from the canton.

The confirmation of ownership is free of charge.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The confirmation of ownership is free of charge.

I can absolutely confirm this.

An old WES should just be fine... but some dealers do not accept it.

A few days ago, i just bought a 30 Mag for an older P226 and have sent the WES from 2017, which the Shop did not accept.

So i had to send my "Besitzbestätigung".

It really makes sense to be an owner of this kind of paper. ✌

• How do I get this Besitzbestätigung?

and I have a 30 round mag for glock that I bough together with another weapon this year. Am I allowed to use this new 30 round mag on my glock 17 that I got before August 2019?

If no, in any case if I get the Besitzbestätigung i’m able to get a new 30 round mag and use it together with the glock 17 + Roni kit right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The magazine is perfectly legal, no worries.

As long as you don't use it in a newer gun after 08/2019 without permission or the Besitzbestätigung (Confirmation of ownership?)

Kind of strange, if you are allowed already to use a large Magazin 20+ for another Pistol... but so is the law.

Easyiest way is, to have all your Guns reported on the Besitzbestätigung, then you don't need to worry on which Gun you can use what kind of Magazin.

Just keep in mind that after you've done a Besitzbestätigung, all your enlisted guns are listed as "forbidden". I know sounds strange again, just keep that in mind if you're planning to sell any of your guns.